Dedicated to Michael “Mikey Dee” Linnick (09/17/62-07/06/03)
There will never be another Mikey Dee. In the days before cell phones and internet, Mikey was plugged into the very best and brightest musical talent of the Boston music scene and brought them onto his radio show for all to discover.
He was the kind of guy who would come see you play and have a beer with you when you were done, no matter how many bands were playing that night, even in different parts of town. Somehow he was always there.
When he invited me to be his sound person for the live bands back in 1996, it opened so many doors and made me appreciate the music scene and everyone in it on levels that I continue to discover every day. It was Mikey who gave me the best seat in the house for everything that has happened since.
At the end of every show, he would always say, “Go out and just see one local band a week. It will change your life.” It has not only changed mine, but each and every one who has kept this show alive these last 25 years and counting. It is to Mikey we dedicate this and all future compilations, and we hope to put out a great many more!
April 28, 2014
Mikey Dee created On the Town and made it a home for local musicians to perform and hang out, and to give everyone a chance to listen to the music of Boston. Sadly, Mikey Dee passed away in 2003, at the age of 40, leaving a hole in the music scene and in the hearts of those who knew and loved him.
Today, we continue the show in Mikey's name, broadcasting On the Town every Wednesday night, from 9pm to midnight EST on Tufts University's WMFO, 91.5 FM (in the Medford/Somerville/Cambridge area); streaming online at www.wmfo.org
To commemorate the show's 25 year on the air, we have put together a compilation of 35 outstanding performances from some of your favorite local acts, all performed in our very own Studio Dee!!
There is no way to represent each and every act that's graced our show. This is a small sample and we hope to put out more of these collections.
Proceeds from the sale of this compilation benefit WMFO and The Mikey Dee Musicians Benefit Trust Fund.
released June 3, 2014
1. Walter Sickert and the Army of Broken Toys - No Room - 06/25/09
2. Varsity Drag - Animal - 10/28/09
3. This Blue Heaven - Slow Dance Slow - 01/13/10
4. What Time Is It, Mr. Fox? - Deep Water - 09/02/09
5. Butterknife - Restless - 10/30/13
6. The Fatal Flaw - Narrow Hours - 01/30/13
7. Schooltree - Let's Dance - 05/29/13
8. The Pills - Apologize - 01/09/02
9. The Michael J Epstein Memorial Library - Amylee - 02/23/11
10. The Milling Gowns - Zenith - 03/14/12
11. Jaggery - Rare Earth Element - 08/18/10
12. Cropduster - The Blizzard of '78 - 10/20/10
13. The Wrong Shapes - The Right Man On Your Side - 02/29/12
14. Dave Crespo's After Party - Troubadour - 08/01/12
15. Binary System - Boxation Overload - 10/08/97
16. Here We Just Dream - Birds Fly Information - 09/05/12
17. Doom Buggies - Think Big - 05/17/06
18. Birdwatchers Of America - The Save The Berlin Wall Committee Blues -
1. Sarah Rabdau and Self-Employed Assassins - Say Hello - 11/06/13
2. The Lights Out - Five Seventeen - 12/04/08
3. The Invisible Rays - Combinations - Combinations- 07/15/09
4. Full Body Anchor - Catch/Release - 03/10/10
5. The Weisstronauts - Pleasant Valley Sunday - 06/25/08
6. Baby Ray – Snipe Hunter - 09/08/99
7. Daniel Ouellette and the Shobijin - Under The Couch - 04/04/12
8. Four Point Restraints - Casualty - 11/03/10
9. Naked On Roller Skates - Bad Side - 09/07/11
10. The Luxury - Nothing Comes To Mind - 07/08/09
11. Pray For Polanski - 9191991 - 09/21/11
12. Mission Creep - Weed Wacka - 04/25/12
13. I, Pistol - The Art Of Deception - 03/17/10
14. Vary Lumar - Slave - 01/29/14
15. The Daily Pravda - Evelyn - 01/15/14
16. Reverse - Blues In D - 01/16/13
17. The Sift - Within You Without You - 01/23/08
Recorded and Mixed at WMFO Studio B and Dee by Joel Simches
Produced by Joel Simches in conjunction with WMFO, Studio Dee Recordings and Sandbox Records.
CD Design, Layout by Shilo MacDonald.
All recordings ®© 2014 WMFO/Studio Dee Recordings
We would like to thank every musician who has come up to play, promote a show, or just come to the air studio to hang out with us. Without you there is no On The Town with Mikey Dee.
We would like to thank most graciously the Exec Board and Staff of WMFO in Medford for their continuous support since May 1989. Thank you for making WMFO our home for 25 years.
On The Town with Mikey Dee Production Team:
Joel Simches, JoEllen Yannis, Pammeke Van Der Feest, Andrew Wilson, Phil Fleming, Michael J. Epstein, Sophia Cacciola, and Shilo MacDonald.
We would also like to thank our On The Town alum, who have all been an important part of the show’s legacy: Anngelle Wood, Douglas Dinsmoor, Laura Slapikoff, Tim Robert, Todd Hartigan, David O’Leary, Sevan Minassian, Morgan Huke, Steve Harnish, Steve Clay, Steve Howard, Alex Piandes, Brian Young, Ed Beuchert, Emily Ryan, Andrew Sayler, Nick Andre, Jesse Weeks, Heather Day, Jason Schuster, Michael Knoblock, Tony Schinella, Blue, Paul De George, Bill P, Chris Manshreck, Carl Robinson, Taleen Agulian, Michael Scott Stewart, Marie Petrowski, Stephanie Marino, Stephanie Cook, Vicki Dyar, Elio De Luca, Bryn Bennett, Zsid, Emily Arkin, and Anderson Lynn Mar.
Proceeds from the sale of this compilation will benefit WMFO and the Mikey Musicians Benefit Trust Fund.